Minutes of Quail Creek Veterans Golf Association
Board Meeting – 8 September 2022
President Rene Gill called the meeting to order at 08:59.
Board Members present. President Rene Gill, Secretary John McGee, Treasurer Jim Struthers, Tournament Chairman Dan Salazar, Handicap Chairman Roger Oravetz.
November 11th, 2022, Vets Day Tournament and Banquet at Quail Creek.
- The primary purpose of this meeting was to discuss plans for the tournament. Additional meetings will probably be necessary but may not require the full board.
- The format will be a Scramble with all players using the Silver/Copper combo tee boxes. Green fees will be $30. Quail Creek Charter golf organizations have already agreed to sponsor the event.
- There will be a served lunch. Dan is discussing the menu choices with Epifania. He will ensure that the negotiated meal cost includes taxes, fees, and gratuity. There will be an open bar. Rene said he needs the menu choices and meal cost soon to begin advertising the event. Registration will be on-line using Golf Genius. Including menu choices on the GG registration form could be too complicated. If so, Jim Struthers will use a spreadsheet to record registration information.
- There will not be a closest to the line contest but there will be four closest to the hole prizes and a chance to win a golf car for a hole in one. Dan has volunteers lined up to prepare and supervise the contests. Also, Holly Crombie said the Activities Committee can help by, for example, decorating the dining area or preparing “goodie bags” for all players.
- Dan has volunteers to solicit hole sponsors from local businesses. His goal is 100 sponsors. He also will send an email to VGA members about personal tee box signs for a $100 donation.
- The Board voted to authorize $100.00 to cover miscellaneous expenses.
Out of Town QCVGA Golf Outing. Wickenburg Ranch overnight? Roger recommended no longer considering this because of increased green fees and because the lighted par 3 course is no longer available for outside play. The Board concurred.
Other QCVGA Tournaments. Battle of the Branches, March 3, 2023, here. Memorial Day May 29, 2023, Desert Hills. Dan is also looking into a tournament at Sewailo.
- Rene is still trying to schedule a meeting with Melani Caron, General Manager, about not requiring QCVGA Tournament green fees from QCVGA members who are annual members of the course.
- Rene in continuing to explore having an SOS breakfast for QCVGA members. Chef Aris has agreed to this, and Rene has the official SOS recipe. A good time to have the breakfast would be early October.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 10:04. Next monthly board meeting will be on 13 October, same time, same place.